Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Non-Pro Picks?

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Theory Crafting » Non-Pro Picks? 33 posts - page 2 of 4
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 2, 2014 3:57am | Report
ahhh wronggg ... unless you had warded the kotl high ground he could charge up with out you knowing and with his mana leak any over extension would be punished with a leak charge combo plus you have to think about it in this mind frame ...

1. why kotl mid? he is a support
- 2 reason DP is your teams biggest threat and you have no reliable counter there fore shut down early and hard and deny her her farm and xp
- you drafted horribly and hes your best hope.
2. what is kotl best at?
- pushing and supporting
- laning kotl mid means that you will be pushing the tower like crazy hopefully shutting down DP farm and taking down the mid tower early allowing you to rotate out and/or get easier ganks on mid...
this worked so well last night i am now doing it from now on haha

I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL.... WITH FLUFFY BUNNIES

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » April 2, 2014 4:49am | Report
Mid KotL, I chuckled. I remember doing it once in the Russian servers just to get a quick Blink Dagger and trap players without TP scrolls on cliffs. I only did it once, but I laughed soooo much.

manic_e wrote:

Warlock is pretty much exclusively a mid hero in the pro scene. Undying is really only ever used in aggressive tri lanes. I've seen undying a couple of times recently...it didn't end well. But yeah reliable stuns aren't that important I mean visage? Dazzle, veno, AA. Pretty popular supports no reliable stuns. (Dazzle obviously has a mini stun but not counting mini's.)

Warlock and Silencer are almost useless in the laning phase: Fatal Bonds deals too little damage to be a real threat in trilanes, same for Curse of the Silent; Shadow Word and Last Word are strong but need levels unlike Chilling Touch, Shallow Grave, Soul Assumption, Venomous Gale, Nightmare, Soul Catcher etc. Same for Omniknight.

Undying's Tombstone also needs levels, but it still slows the enemies a bit and is pretty good in aggressive trilanes; KotL's Illuminate is a nice follow up after a reliable stun but, most of the time, you can easily dodge it with a good Ward.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 2, 2014 7:39am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

ahhh wronggg ... unless you had warded the kotl high ground he could charge up with out you knowing

No, Mr. E43 is right. You don't need Wards to dodge KoTL blasts, you just need skill, intuition and to pay attention of course.

Mid KotL, I chuckled. I remember doing it once in the Russian servers just to get a quick Blink Dagger and trap players without TP scrolls on cliffs. I only did it once, but I laughed soooo much.

Speaking of funny KoTL stories...I remember one game where I was a Clockwerk against a Radiant Tri-Lane of Faceless Void, Rubick and Keeper of the Light. I had no Wards in their Jungle, and Keeper of the Light decided he's stay there Spamming Illuminate at me. Since he was spamming it off Cooldown, it was easy to stand by the Creep Wave when Rubick wasn't around, count the seconds till the next Blast came and move back a second or 2 before he finished charging. Pushing the Creep Wave every time. <}3

Even better, after a while, the Rubick went off to Gank Top after Pulling the Wave back, leaving a Lone KoTL hiding in his Jungle, waiting for the Creep Wave to spot me, I knew where he was, but he just waited for me to show up...

..which I did...

I activated Battery Assault, moved right up against him, and blocked him in his leafy niche giving me...easiest...First Blood...EVER!!! X{D

Even better, after KoTL died the Void decided to take action by using Chronosphere on me, then doing barely any Damage. KoTL's response? "lucker". That was probably the hardest I've ever laughed in a game so far X{D

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Peppo_oPaccio » April 2, 2014 8:44am | Report
Xyrus wrote:
KoTL's response? "lucker".

This reminds me of the Sniper from Dota 2 ****ty Digest vol. 2.

Peppo_oPaccio
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (70)
Steam: Peppo_o'Paccio
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 2, 2014 5:01pm | Report
ahhh but Xyrus thats the thing, it doesnt matter if your Charge missed the hero ... all you have to do is push the lane, we had mid tower down in 7 mins and then kotl came bot lane and pushed that down and from then on it was gg ... DP never got her farm and every time she tried we could gank mid. game ended at the 33 min mark ...

OMG that sniper hahaha "mega luck"

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by SkyStormSpectre » April 3, 2014 1:16am | Report
Against any proper mid KoTL would lose. He has a really annoying attack animation, no real disable, and a surprisingly bad farming skill. However, he can push the tower fast, but a good Death Prophet can also push a tower quickly, so yeah. But Dota is a game that has many aspects, and having a hero out of his usual lane can throw your opponent off guard and get a win.

SkyStormSpectre

Remarkable (22)
Steam: 5K|SkyyStørm
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Ab4ddon._.E43 » April 3, 2014 2:49am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

ahhh but Xyrus thats the thing, it doesnt matter if your Charge missed the hero ... all you have to do is push the lane, we had mid tower down in 7 mins and then kotl came bot lane and pushed that down and from then on it was gg ... DP never got her farm and every time she tried we could gank mid. game ended at the 33 min mark ...

OMG that sniper hahaha "mega luck"

Smuggle my dear muggle (see what i did there :P ), you forget that as kotl can push, so can prophet.

You blast the creepwave, she uses swarm. Your blast does more damage, she just agroes the remaining creeps behind the tier 1 to the tier 2.
Rinse and repeat, the tower wont even go down by a hundred hitpoints.

Get lvl 6 and scare the **** outta that kotl.
I am the Abaddon *****!!!

Ab4ddon._.E43

Notable (12)
Steam: Ab4ddon._.E43
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 3, 2014 3:54am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

ahhh but Xyrus thats the thing, it doesnt matter if your Charge missed the hero ... all you have to do is push the lane, we had mid tower down in 7 mins

Your blast does more damage, she just agroes the remaining creeps behind the tier 1 to the tier 2.
Rinse and repeat, the tower wont even go down by a hundred hitpoints.

Get lvl 6 and scare the **** outta that kotl.

^ This is pretty much what I'd do with an Offlaner like Clockwerk too, since if he does try to Push while the Creep Wave is Pulled past the Tower, he's just begging to be Cogged under the Tower, combine with TPs from your Supports, and it's easy to punish these tactics.

Besides, why send KoTL Mid, when you can get a Mid Tower down by 7:00 with a stronger Mid-Laner like Viper or Dragon Knight? Unlike KoTL, they can hit the Tower pretty hard.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Smuggels » April 6, 2014 4:44pm | Report
haha i know i know ...

read my last post please it will explain why.

but if too lazy (i know i am)

- we drafted horribly and they countered picked our original mid so hard we would have lost mid easily.
- with the KotL mid it threw them off and they never recovered.

it was a clutch choice and it worked.

not saying id play him mid all the time (even though i did say that i was joking)
but it was awesome to see the effect laning a hero that people wouldnt expect in mid... we could sense it threw them off hugely :)

Smuggels

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (82)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » April 7, 2014 1:16am | Report
Smuggels wrote:

but it was awesome to see the effect laning a hero that people wouldnt expect in mid... we could sense it threw them off hugely :)

True, I love doing this in Captain's Mode Drafts, you think you're up against a Viper Mid, so you put something Passive against him. Wrong move sucka! He's going Aggressive Tri-Lane on your Carry! 8{D

I don't know why, but I'm an expert in confusing my opponent as to which lane Viper goes in. <}3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved