Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Post Whatever You Want (and Stop Posting Crap on Other Threads)

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Post Whatever You Want (and Stop Posting Crap on Other Threads) 1440 posts - page 71 of 144
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » November 25, 2015 8:41am | Report
michimatsch wrote:

So what is a necro by the definition of Dotafire? 2 weeks old? 1 week? I don't try to sound sarcastic or sth I just want to know so I don't necro sth on accident.

You rarely see anything new and relevant posted more than a few days after the last post, and when you do, it's usually a friendly bump for a clan or team. Sometimes, someone will come back from holiday, or will have gotten their internet back after a while and they'll read up on some of the things they missed. There's also the stickied threads like "Introduce yourself" that get used constantly, but occassionally go quiet for a couple of weeks every now and then.

...so, I'd say a necro is anything after 2 weeks, but I'll only lock the thread if it's been more than 4 since the last post.

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » November 25, 2015 10:01am | Report
i consider threads more than a month old and left untouched to be stale, someone types in to continue discussion after that, is necro. Unless, of course, it is a introduction thread or a help thread.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » November 25, 2015 1:21pm | Report
Xyrus wrote:

...so, I'd say a necro is anything after 2 weeks, but I'll only lock the thread if it's been more than 4 since the last post.

But then if you reply to a 8 months old thread and what you're saying *is* relevant, is it still considered a necro?

Like, say there was a thread 8 months ago about a new build idea. If I want to post some replays about me playing this build in pubs to say how it went, am I still getting locked for necroing?

Like, if there's an old idea that needs to be continued, do I have to make a new thread even if there's already an old one just to avoid necroing?
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » November 25, 2015 1:38pm | Report
Ask me to necro it. I have so much power over all these xyrnoobs that they can't even think about locking it after my appearance in it :^)

E.g. this thread

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » November 25, 2015 5:24pm | Report
Jani, this thread is like Madonna. Just doesn't die.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KoDyAbAbA » November 25, 2015 7:34pm | Report
Terathiel wrote:

Jani, this thread is like Madonna. Just doesn't die.

so relevant.

Also, it keeps producing quality content Kappa.

KoDyAbAbA

Memorable (65)
Steam: Sir Rat-A-Lot
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » November 25, 2015 8:07pm | Report
This thread is here for us to randomly spam, so that the spam stays out of other threads.

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Xyrus » November 26, 2015 3:01am | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

But then if you reply to a 8 months old thread and what you're saying *is* relevant, is it still considered a necro?

Like, say there was a thread 8 months ago about a new build idea. If I want to post some replays about me playing this build in pubs to say how it went, am I still getting locked for necroing?

Like, if there's an old idea that needs to be continued, do I have to make a new thread even if there's already an old one just to avoid necroing?

Yeah, this is how it works, just create a new thread. You can always provide a link to the old thread so people can go back and read it.

The problem is, if you reply to an 8 month old thread, people don't always realise that the thread is 8 months old and treat the 8 month information as new information and you end up with something like this:-
Xyrus wrote:

Support Alchemist is legit as hell right now, Unstable Concoction gives blah blah blah

Janitsu wrote:

OMG, Support Alch is terrible, why would you even suggest it this patch? rant rant rant

...you'd be surprised how easily people get confused, so I'd rather we avoided necroing altogether, even if the content is relevant to the discussion.

Now if you'll excuse me, this IS a spam thread after all, not a place for serious questions! 8{D

#ShotsFiredAtJanitsu
#JanitsuCan'tReadDates
#JanitsuCan'tDraw
#JanitsuWillNeverBeAdmin

8{3

Xyrus
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Established (104)
Steam: Xyrus
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » November 26, 2015 3:39am | Report
#xyruscanttag #xyruswillneverbeadmin #adminingmywayoverurdeadbody #thanksSLAYING #sashafiercetsu

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » November 26, 2015 3:46am | Report
#warofhashtags

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved