Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Help with LoL

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Off Topic » Help with LoL 25 posts - page 1 of 3
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » November 15, 2015 9:41am | Report
Hey guys!

I recently started calibrating in Ranked, but I don't really have much time. (I think I've won 5/6 games so far, iirc).

However, I'd like to bring an issue to you guys, see if you could help me a little.

A lot of my friends play League. Like, a lot of them. They've been wanting me to play League ever since I started to play DotA, but I've never been able to bring myself to switch, considering the amount of time and effort I've put into DotA (both in game and here on Dotafire).

There is absolutely no one that will play DotA with me... :c... yet, if I switch to LoL, I could play with my friends.

What do you guys think?
If I were to switch over, what should I do?
How do I compare Dota with LoL?

Thanks so much guys.
TheSofa

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » November 15, 2015 10:15am | Report
Go to Mobafire. I think the guys there will be more than happy to help you with a proper introduction.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » November 15, 2015 10:24am | Report
What you should do:

Play to level 20 and don't buy any champions
Get proper runes at level 20
Profit

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
Steam: Cottontail Teemo
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by michimatsch » November 15, 2015 11:41am | Report
Quoted:
Play to level 20 and don't buy any champions
Get proper runes at level 20
Profit
If you had put that in one year before I wouldn't have stopped playing LoL (couldn't afford Braum).
I still favor dota over LoL but play both of them (I even have smite) to play with all my friends.
And seriously. If you think the only game you can play together is LoL play it together when they are online and play the game you enjoy more when you don't have a friend wanting to play with you.

Dota is more draft and team dependant while LoL favors individual skill.

michimatsch

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (26)
Steam: michimatsch
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » November 15, 2015 12:02pm | Report
michimatsch wrote:

If you had put that in one year before I wouldn't have stopped playing LoL (couldn't afford Braum).
I still favor dota over LoL but play both of them (I even have smite) to play with all my friends.
And seriously. If you think the only game you can play together is LoL play it together when they are online and play the game you enjoy more when you don't have a friend wanting to play with you.

Dota is more draft and team dependant while LoL favors individual skill.

LoL has been going towards team skill > individual skill game for a long time now (since season 4) and right now because of preseason 6, it's more team-orientated than ever.

Sucks because I am used to hard carrying my team as mid laner or ADC.

EDIT: send me a PM if you want to add me on Skype, I can give you some tips etc. without cluttering dotafire

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by masaaki14 » November 15, 2015 12:24pm | Report
even with all the updates, it still feels like a single player can carry his team, so i would have to say individual skill is still the main thing in there

masaaki14

Notable (11)
Steam: masaaki14
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » November 15, 2015 12:32pm | Report
LoL still places a lot more emphasis around individual player mechanics, rather than nessicarly team cohesion. It's why you see so many skill-shots, all abilities having a form of scaling. It's essentially saying 'Oh if you are good enough at X hero, you can probably do well with it regardless'.

I've actually been messing around with LoL recently due to just having the expierence for the sake of arguments. It's pretty similar to DOTA (Obviously), but expect more things to be the way they are for the sake of being that way.

I mean arguably that's true of spell interactions in DOTA, but in LoL it's true of stuff like jungling and laning set-ups.

Expect balance changes a lot more frequently. Like every few weeks frequently not every few month. Don't try and mouth off or anything, because punishments for that are harsher.

Prepare for a massive amount of information that you can't easily check in a game situation, because you can't select other units to read what abilities do what.

Prepare for the grind. Like it's a painful painful expierence to go to somewhere where so many options are locked up at the start (Summoner Spells, Runes, Mastery's and Champions). Also be prepared for the fact that outside of rotation, most of the more mechanically indepth (And thus arguably fun) champions to be locked away for a looong time.

It's just a really big grind to get into compared to DOTA really, because transitioning from somewhere where you have everything to you have nothing is sad.

It would be easier to get your friends into DOTA on your part, but they've probably sunk money into LoL.

EDIT; Otherwise your transition will be fine, a lot of your base mechanics will be applicable in League so you'll have a leg up on a lot of people.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Janitsu » November 15, 2015 12:43pm | Report
LoL isn't still win/lose game in the picking situation, but at its current state puts more importance on objectives and teamplaying. Carrying alone nowadays is way too hard, if the enemy can play and if your team is even slightly worse than theirs.

Individual skill is important in both games. DotA just has important teamfights etc. while in LoL you need to ward, take objectives and skirmish with your team after laning phase or otherwise you are basically useless.

Janitsu
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (74)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » November 15, 2015 12:59pm | Report
If what masaaki and Sanvitch said is true, then individual skill in both games isn't nearly as important. Dota is now borderline from the state where you win or lose a game before it even starts with picks. If earlier an early win was often a result of some mid/carry player outplaying or outfarming their opponents and just stomping on them now easy wins happen because a well-balanced(or just highly-concentrated meta) pick stomps a trash pick(too greedy, too one-sided or just with a lot of trash heroes).

Team game yo.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Blubbles » November 15, 2015 5:48pm | Report
Same with me, every other MOBA player I know plays League. I honestly hate league. It is too easy. Sorry to sound pretentious but after you've put in 1000 hours the stuff in League is just broken. Grass that can hide you? Free TP back to base? Free wards? Hero perks? First round, my friend gave me some money to buy a hero, I bought this Bloodseeker rip off (Vladimir?) and I had a KDA of like 4.0 for the first couple of games.
And Ability Power? Like what the hell is this I can just increase my magic damage as much as I want? Also the graphics bug me especially the shop menu it look sreally clunky like Dota 1.

And the real breaking point for me: You have to buy heroes (whoops I mean Champions). Like, I buy a champ, so now I get to use them woo hoo. But then what if I want to play a different hero? I get bored playing the same ****ing hero over and over and over again in Dota, so I always change it up every 2 games or so. But no. If You want to play a different hero in league, you a) get to buy them w/ real money or a hell of a lot of building up in-game currency (like 200 games or some crazy ****) or b) you can play the free hero rotation which all the other scrubs are playing and they will probably want to steal the one you want to play.

Did I mention how you can have the same heroes on the other team? Like what?

Okay rant over... point is... don;t play league.

EDIT: Also I felt like it was a single player game, literally such easy kills without support or stunner or anything.
Mood of the Day

^_^

Blubbles

Notable (13)
Steam: Axolotl
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved