Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

Dragonus, AA and the Shanghai Shunned

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » General Discussion » Dragonus, AA and the Shanghai Shunned 12 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » March 1, 2016 12:36pm | Report
The main event of the Shanghai Major starts today and I felt like going over the heroes who have yet to be picked in the tournament. As of now, there are 27(Now 24) unpicked heroes in total (excluding Riki and Arc Warden who aren't available in CM) and they are as follows:

Strength:
Axe
Clockwerk
Huskar (still think he got overnerfed)
Kunkka
Magnus
Omniknight
Pudge (May have to wait until either Leviathan or Na'Vi make it to a Major before we see some Pudka)
Timbersaw
Wraith King

Agility:
Bloodseeker
Medusa
Meepo (Will we see either N0tail or w33 bust out Meepo in the main event?)
Naga Siren (hope she stays unpicked) (EDIT: Alliance picked her against Liquid)
Phantom Assassin (MVP.Phoenix picked her up against Team Liquid)
Shadow Fiend
Sniper
Troll Warlord
Terrorblade (Surprised he hasn't seen action at Shanghai yet) (EDIT: Picked by OG in their Bo3 against Team Secret)
Venomancer

Intelligence:
Ancient Apparition
Keeper of the Light
Ogre Magi (EDIT: MVP.Phoenix picked up Magi against Team Liquid)
Skywrath Mage
Storm Spirit
Techies
Tinker

For me, the two heroes on this list that surprise me the most are Ancient Apparition and Skywrath Mage.

The first reason being is that the meta is favorable to magic damage nukers such as Zeus, Puck and Tiny, not to mention that we're seeing a fair amount magic amping items like Aether Lens and Veil of Discord, you'd think that something like Ancient Seal or the heal preventing Ice Blast would be tailor made for this meta (Not to mention that Ice Blast negates Time Walk's back track heal!). Oh and Sky has a ton of nuking power in addition to his silence/damage amper.

The second reason is the popularity of Faceless Void, whose ultimate has really good synergy with both Ice Blast and Mystic Flare. And don't forget the flip slide of things, where Ancient Seal can ruin Void's initiation (if you get the jump on him) and Ice Blast keeps Void from cheating death. Instead we're seeing Void paired with heroes like Sven and the like.

Perhaps you guys could enlighten me on why the pros aren't going for heroes like AA or Sky and point out what heroes you're surprised to see on this list. Is it because Skywrath's voice is annoying? Or do the pros know something that we don't?

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
Steam: Fedorable
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » March 2, 2016 12:15am | Report
I'm pretty sure it's mainly 'cause Sky is dog****.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Wulfstan » March 2, 2016 8:28am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's because Black King Bar and Glimmer Cape exists, and they put these heroes into the dumpster.

Wulfstan
<Retired Mod>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (77)
Steam: Wulfstant
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » March 2, 2016 10:07am | Report
Terathiel wrote:

B-but... From the Ghastly Eyrie...

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » March 2, 2016 12:08pm | Report
Wulfstan wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's because Black King Bar and Glimmer Cape exists, and they put these heroes into the dumpster.

Black King Bar and Glimmer Cape existed in the last tournaments as well, and AA was still a very common and valid pick. I think Fed is right and you need to look elsewhere for an explanation. Maybe something to do with the meta now favouring very strong laning stages and the all idea of setting the tempo? AA is strong in some lanes, but he offers little as a defensive support and he can't gank as eficiently as the others (think Vengeful Spirit, a trade of all cards, almost picked or banned every game). Also he usually needs an Aghs to be really impactful, and that takes some time, time corrent meta punishes.

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by KrDotoBestDoto » March 2, 2016 1:17pm | Report
I think kotl and SF are the most likely to be picked. I would like to see some troll picks tho. I think the hero is still very strong and fits well in a fight and push oriented meta. The combination of his ult with lycan's howl is legit.

KrDotoBestDoto

Notable (3)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 2, 2016 1:41pm | Report
AA, KOTL and SF were picked in the major, quite a bit even for AA.

I don't think it makes sense to just look at the main event. Too few games for it to mean anything.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Fedorable » March 2, 2016 2:20pm | Report
Hamstertamer wrote:

AA, KOTL and SF were picked in the major, quite a bit even for AA.

I don't think it makes sense to just look at the main event. Too few games for it to mean anything.

Only in the qualifiers though, this list entails group stage and main event

Fedorable
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (23)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » March 2, 2016 2:29pm | Report
Yeah, but what is this? Up to now, 60 games? Hardly enough to make any meaningful stats over anything else than the tier A meta picks.
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » March 2, 2016 4:02pm | Report
If we are judging the viablity of something in the patch, looking at the Major is probably the place to look. It's the most serious event in a patch, and has all of the best teams at it. Stuff being picked or not picked here means there's some element of them that's not viable. Especially since we've had an insane amount of diversity thus far. Look at Alliance, they played 19 different heroes in the 4 group stage games.

Looking at the qualifiers is also going to far back in the history of the patch; Because this is still a patch with a lot of room to develop. The qualifiers were like the first or second major event on the patch. Which is way too soon to use it as a metric.

And since the likes of EG and OG have barely played this patch before now, there's been no real event to judge things by.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved