Help Support Our Growing Community

DOTAFire is a community that lives to help every Dota 2 player take their game to the next level by having open access to all our tools and resources. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting us in your ad blocker!

Want to support DOTAFire with an ad-free experience? You can support us ad-free for less than $1 a month!

Go Ad-Free
Smitefire logo

Join the leading DOTA 2 community.
Create and share Hero Guides and Builds.

Create an MFN Account

Or

I started playing DotA 2 when...

Please review our General Rules & Guidelines before posting or commenting anywhere on DOTAFire.

Forum » Off Topic » I started playing DotA 2 when... 13 posts - page 1 of 2
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by TheSofa » February 16, 2016 7:27am | Report
Hi all,

Just wanted to know how long you guys have been playing, but also, what was the first change you noticed when you played?

(I didn't even know there were patches when I started)

I think the first change I noticed was 2-3 months after I started playing: When Abbadon was added to the pool. I noticed because he's the first person you see and you can't not notice him (back then I couldn't name more than 10 heroes, so yea)

Cheers!
TheSofa

TheSofa
<Moderator>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (54)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by ChiChi » February 16, 2016 8:00am | Report
Interesting!

I started playing in the end of 2013 I think. I'm not sure what you mean by first change noticed, but I remember Phoenix being introduced in the game. My learning curve was very spiked, from the first learning a lot to stagnation to joining Dota Fire and another big spike (working on guides, reading more about dota and watching games) to now, where I'm stuck again cause I can't find the time to finish that amazing PPD's video guide, let alone play :(

Hopefully when I get unemployed at some point I will get my invisible mmr going finally eheh

Credits to Janitsu!

Ammateurs coaching channel iei! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOBsWN_45WjrRXLAWUqeyaA

ChiChi
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (47)
Steam: Chi-Chi
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Hamstertamer » February 16, 2016 8:12am | Report
Started playing dota about 8 years ago. Good old dota 1. Played mostly in LANs with friends. Stopped for a long time, and started playing dota 2 again about 3 years ago.

Oldest changes I remember are changes to Manta Style and Eul's Scepter of Divinity. Manta used to build from diffusal instead of yasha, old manta was actually incredibly imbalanced by today's standards since you could simply rush it on heroes like PL and just wreck face with only one item. And Euls used to have a charge limit, my first big reaction when I started playing dota 2 again is "WTF Euls with infinite charges, this item sounds awfully abusable". Who knew, right? :)

I also remember old Aphotic Shield was stupid as hell, it used to be 275 damage block/nuke. As if current shield isn't infamous enough already. And old Lifestealer with 20 second BKB ulti. Yes, I actually played that guy, and he was as ******** as he sounds. One of my first reactions in dota 2 was also that the "new" naix was kind of underwhelming. Well compared to what he used to be, that's not saying much XD

I also played the old 27 spell Invoker right when he was created...in dota 1. Incomplete Kael with white orbs and stuff. Pretty epic :)
Strategy guide : Anti-pubstomper guide.
Hero guides : Spectre , Windranger and Clinkz
== Broodmother guide out! ==

Hamstertamer
<Editor>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Memorable (89)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by UltraSuperHyper » February 16, 2016 8:18am | Report
I first played dota in the patch when windrunner was introduced (6.55). At that time I could only play against bots as my internet connection was really bad. I then joined the beta and played for a week or so before finally starting again in 2014 February.

The first change which I noticed was how that there were item recipes. I used to not buy items which used recipes because I almost always lost and thus did not have enough gold for recipes xD

UltraSuperHyper

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Notable (12)
Steam: UltraSuperHyper
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Dimonychan » February 16, 2016 8:48am | Report
Started playing in January '14. Memories of my innovative Phase Boots-Dagon Crystal Maiden and Perservance stacking(for regen ofc) Kunkka still haunt me.

Dimonychan

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (43)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sanvitch » February 16, 2016 10:09am | Report
I started getting into DOTA around the time of Spring cleaning, in the early early build up to TI4.

My first real impression was that I thought Mirana and Luna were the same hero for weeks, because they were in every single game back then, and they looked really similar. So my first change was noticing that they weren't.

Since you just can't have enough Chaos Breaker.

Sanvitch

Notable (18)
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by The Frosto » February 16, 2016 10:44am | Report
My first game was 11 March 2014 so that was in patch 6.80, I know not too much about that patch because the only thing I did than was playing legion with vlads and Satanic and going 15-3. I don't know how I did that but braindead dota was best dota. Also I played Luna and I knew that the first hero I found overpowered was Lycan togheter with the casual Phantom Assassin, Riki and Drow Ranger.
Any man can make mistakes, but only an idiot persists in it.
-Cicero

And still every dota player flames someone else instead of himself.

The Frosto

Notable (14)
Steam: The Frosto
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Sp3ctr3 » February 16, 2016 11:08am | Report
I started playing dota in the 6.82 patch, so I´m really new in the business,I have never played "Dota 1" so I get really pissed of with my friends when they say that i should buy "Kelen´s Dagger" or "Lothar´s Edge". Now I know some of these names, but some time ago the was really annoying since I only know that names of the items in Dota 2.

Sp3ctr3

Notable (4)
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by nukers united » February 16, 2016 12:54pm | Report
I started in I think june of 2014 and u remember Riki being overplayed as **** and it was the start of my burning hatred of Riki

nukers united

Notable (4)
Steam: Touka Kirishima
View My Blog
Permalink | Quote | PM | +Rep by Terathiel » February 17, 2016 3:28am | Report
I started shortly after they released Terrorblade and Phoenix. First major change I remember was the spring cleaning update.
There are two kinds of people in the world; those who can count, and those who can't.

Meme central please give me ad revenue

Terathiel
<Veteran>

Awards Showcase
Show more awards

Remarkable (49)
Steam: Save me from this meme hell
View My Blog

Quick Reply

Please log in or sign up to post!

DOTAFire is the place to find the perfect build guide to take your game to the next level. Learn how to play a new hero, or fine tune your favorite DotA hero’s build and strategy.

Copyright © 2019 DOTAFire | All Rights Reserved